Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 16:16:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>I would like to see CMD mentioned in connection with Mammoth Replicator
> >>as well. Yes, it is a closed source commercial add on, but still it is
> >>something that apparently attracts customers who otherwise would have
> >>had trouble making the decision pro-PostgreSQL. After all, this use of
> >>PostgreSQL is one of the best reasons for the BSD license.
> >

> > I am not in favor of mentioning a commercial product in our press
> > release, especially when we have an open source alternative.
>
> Well if that doesn't just beg for argument. We gave away commercial
> applications at the PostgreSQL OSCON booth (SRA)? Several people
> there were commercial entities basically selling their services?
>
> What denotes commercial? plPHP and plPerlNG are both commercial.

The release relates to our released software and other BSD-licensed code
released around the same time with singificant new functionality.

> If PostgreSQL is not commercial, then companies shouldn't use it because
> then it is just a part time gig for a bunch of hackers.

Huh? The project asks no money for its software and I don't think we as
a project should promote other software that does. Yea, some of us have
jobs, so in that broad sense we are commercial, but I don't see the
point as it relates to the release announcement. In fact our jobs are
supposed to be independent of our opinion on community matters.

> Now, if you want to talk about Open Source that is a different argument.

I guess I meant open source, but MySQL is open source but not community
developed and free of licensing for commercial use, so it gets confusing
what to call it.

> It was my understanding that one of the arguments for PostgreSQL is the
> BSD license "because it alllows closed source applications".

Yes, but it is not our purpose to promote those beyond what we do on the
main web page.

Basically, I see you and Marc, both selling commercial replication
solutions, arguing we shouldn't mention Slony, and everyone else saying
we should. Are you guys being unbiased in your evaluation of mentioning
Slony. I don't think your commercial interests should affect your
opinion in this matter. I am not sure they are, but I have to ask.

> Why shouldn't a PostgreSQL press release then mention closed source
> applications?

Why should we if we have an open source version that is as good?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us