Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 02:54:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> Yep. That's the way the mainstream press works; they're not interested in
> >> technical merit of individual projects, they are interested in what's
> >> currently buzzword-compliant. Replication is sexy, HA is sexy, PITR is
> >> sexy, high performance is sexy, enterprise Java is sexy. A lot of other
> >> features and add-ons which are very valuable to the community are not
> >> interesting to the general press. For the Press Release, which is designed
> >> to go to reporters, we need to pack it densly with stuff that's going to
> >> appeal to them.
> >>

> > What about some mention like:
> > This release is bundled with the open source replication solution, Slony-I.
> > Other commercial replication solutions are available from other vendors, such
> > as Command Prompt, Incorporated.
> >
> > Does this satisfy everyone's needs?
>
> No, as Slony-I is not bundled with, or has anything to do with, this
> release ... Slony-I is a seperate, independent project developed by a
> commercial entity (Afilias) and released Open Source very early in its
> lifecycle ...

Well, it is open source and BSD licensed, so that is good enough for me.

Mentioning commerical replication solutions when we have just-as-good
open source ones makes no sense. At this point, Slony is the main
PostgreSQL open source master/slave replication solution and we should
promote it if we can.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us