Re: Add Missing From?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add Missing From?
Date: 2004-08-10 17:52:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> > Yea, I guess for a long table that also needed an alias you would have
> > to specify the long name every time you reference the table. However,
> > we haven't had anyone ask for that capability,
>
> Yes we have. Do I need to trawl the archives for you? It's been asked
> for quite a few times.

OK, TODO updated:

* Allow an alias to be provided for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE

This is not SQL-spec but many DBMSs allow it.

* Allow additional tables to be specified in DELETE for joins

UPDATE already allows this (UPDATE...FROM) but we need similar
functionality in DELETE. It's been agreed that the keyword should
be USING, to avoid anything as confusing as DELETE FROM a FROM b.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us