Re: PostgreSQL.conf / runtime docs

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL.conf / runtime docs
Date: 2004-08-09 20:53:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

Peter,

> If you plan to do major outline reorganizations, I suggest that you do
> them somewhat sooner than a few days before release, because there is
> also a release management effort involved in the documentation. But
> you can always plug in your latest measurements any time.

No massive re-org, we did that last version.

No, here's what I want to do:

1) add a new section at the top of the docs describing the most common options
that people want to set on a new installation.
2) Add notes to each item about how to decide what to set it at.
3) Add label/values for:
Default Value:
Set At: (when you can change it)
(this latter information is there but buried in the text; it would be better
put on a seperate line)
4) add notes regarding version changes (like that work_mem used to be
sort_mem, and that add_missing_from will default to "false" next version)

Your recommendations on tagging stuff are highly welcome; I'm still
uncomfortable with SGML.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions