Re: dot-conf checking

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dot-conf checking
Date: 2004-08-09 03:55:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> > 1) TimeZone and DateStyle are mixed case in SHOW ALL. Is there a reason
> > for this? Appears to be the same in 7.4.
>
> That's been the traditional spelling of those variable names since
> before I got here. Do we need to change it?

Well, if we've had it for 5 years, then I guess another version won't hurt me;
especially since this is the first time I really noticed it. I'll put in for
a change in 8.1.

> Not a whole lot we can do about that, unless you want to invent a new
> category of "integer variables we display in octal". Doesn't really
> seem worth it.

I suppose so. I'll want to document the discrepancy though.

> Neither. It defaults to an empty string, which is interpreted as
> "unset" by SHOW, but the code in postmaster.c takes that to mean "use
> the machine name". This is documented someplace but maybe not enough
> places...

I'll check the SGML tommorrow. Thanks for replies.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions