Re: pdql, pg_dump, and pg_restore

From: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
To: nzanella(at)cs(dot)mun(dot)ca (Neil Zanella), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pdql, pg_dump, and pg_restore
Date: 2004-08-06 03:49:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Probably you haven't read the manpage good enough :-)
There are switches to pg_dump to turn off the schema, reconnects, owner
information etc.
Here's what you're probably looking for:

pg_dump -R -O -a -i -d -f backupfile.sql database_name

This will do:

no reconnect
no owner
ignore postgres server version missmatch
dump data only
dump as full sql insert statements (no copy)
it will backup everything in database "database_name" to file backupfile.sql.

Hope that helps

UC

On Saturday 31 July 2004 12:57 pm, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an SQL database which I create with:
>
> psql -f create.sql foodb
>
> I then access this database and perform several insertions, modifications,
> and deletions. Finally, I want to backup my database. I do not want to
> backup the schema. All I want is a set of insert statements stored in
> a file insert.sql which I can run on a set of empty database tables
> with the command:
>
> psql -f insert.sql foodb
>
> in order to restore the contents of the database to what it was previously.
>
> I have tried the utilities pg_dump and pg_restore and
> read the manual pages, but after running pg_dump I get a file with the
> whole schema, not exactly what I wanted. And when I restore it my
> application does not find what it needs any more.
>
> So my question is, how do I properly do the type of dump and restore that
> I have described above. I don't care which file format, as long as I can
> just repopulate empty tables. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but
> the problem I am having is that upon restoring the dump my application
> does not find the appropriate fields in the appropriate tables. ???
>
> All that should be needed is one command to dump, and one to restore,
> right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

- --
UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC 2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone: +1 650 872 2425 San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell: +1 650 302 2405 United States
Fax: +1 650 872 2417