Re: Filter equivalent for Access bound form

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "David P(dot) Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Filter equivalent for Access bound form
Date: 2004-08-05 18:44:12
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- "David P. Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Access 2003
> pg 7.4.3
>
> What is the recommended approach to get the
> equivalent of a filter for an
> Access bound form?
>
> The filter property of a bound form seems to be the
> equivalent of an Access
> client-side query of SELECT * FROM form.recordsource
> WHERE form.filter. That
> would have a performance penalty.

How much testing have you done? I have never had a
problem with this, but then, I don't have to deal with
any huge datasets.

> I change the SQL of pass-through queries dynamically
> at runtime to use as
> record sources for reports. That wouldn't work for
> forms, as not updatable.
>
> Is the best approach to use an updatable view as the
> record source, then
> change the view definition at runtime as with a
> passthrough query?

Why would you need to do this? If you want to show
different data to different users, then you reference
the user name (e.g. current_user or session_user) in
your view definition.

> Would need a unique view name for multi-user
> reasons, perhaps including part
> of a timestamp string or sequence. The original
> view's insert, update and
> delete rules should still have valid syntax except
> for the new view name, as
> only the WHERE clause and view name are changed. The
> rules could be updated
> with VBA code at the same time as the view change.

Or you could just use unbound controls. Not really
that difficult, but a lot of coding. Most of us are
using Access in order to avoid all of that :-)