Re: New to PostgreSQL

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Steve Bergman <steve(at)rueb(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-08-01 17:42:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Steve Bergman wrote:
> PostGreSQL cons:

It seems to me that a lot of these arguments are based on hearsay.
You'd be better off downloading PostgreSQL and judging for yourself

> 1. My impression based on what I've seen written is that PHP/MySQL
> integration is better. After all, while people talk of LAMP, one
> does not ever hear of LAPP. However, looking over the functions
> available for each in PHP5, I don't see obvious evidence of this.

What many people don't know is that LAMP actually stands for Linux,
Apache, Middleware, PostgreSQL. Nonetheless, "integration is better"
is a nearly content-free statement without any details.

> 2. Administration is more difficult.

Again, this is hearsay unless you've tried it yourself. Who would take
the "PHP5 MySQL Bible" as a judge on that?

> 3. I prefer MySQL's phpmyadmin to the command line for working with
> the database. I have heard that phppgadmin is not as feature
> complete. However, looking over my recent installation, I don't see
> glaring differences.

Again, hearsay. Try it yourself.

> 4. MySQL is more multiplatform. While this does not bother me, I do
> have coworkers that use Windows that will be affected by my choice of
> database. Fortunately, I believe 7.5 is to have true (i.e.
> non-cygwin win32 support).

Ignoring the Windows port, PostgreSQL is usually more multiplatform.
What really matters, however, is the platform you're interested in.

> 5. Performance. Here it seems almost impossible to get solid
> information, and what little there is out there seems quite dated.
> My general impression is that under light load and simple queries,
> MySQL is more nimble, but that under heavier, multi-user load more
> complex queries PostgreSQL pulls ahead.

This is approximately right, but again, try it yourself.

--
Peter Eisentraut