Re: Tutorial

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tutorial
Date: 2004-07-22 23:57:13
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

I think you are reviving the inheritance wars.
Please do not cut out or dumb down anything that
accurately documents our features.

I think the section should remain, describing
exactly how they work and making it clear exactly
what parts inherited and what is not inherited.
That is where the most confustion lies.

I have a documented use case where the distributed
nature of the indexes increases performance
significantly in certain types of queries. But(!)
I have not re-tested against a recent release
so take that with a grain of salt.

I also have the documentation of how table inheritance
worked in Illustra and a bit on how it worked with
Informix IUS. And can explain some of the thoughts
behind it and the religious wars (offline!).

However, inheritance should not take up a lot of energy that
could be better spent adding sections to JOINs, etc.

I like inhertitance, but believe that the usefulness
of our implementation is limited and so the documentation
should focus on other areas.

elein