Re: Point in Time Recovery

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Point in Time Recovery
Date: 2004-07-20 21:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 00:57, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, I think I have some solid ideas and reasons for them.
> >

> Sorry for taking so long to reply...
>
> > First, I think we need server-side functions to call when we start/stop
> > the backup. The advantage of these server-side functions is that they
> > will do the required work of recording the pg_control values and
> > creating needed files with little chance for user error. It also allows
> > us to change the internal operations in later releases without requiring
> > admins to change their procedures. We are even able to adjust the
> > internal operation in minor releases without forcing a new procedure on
> > users.
>
> Yes, I think we should go down this route. ....there's a "but" and that
> is we don't absolutely need it for correctness....and so I must decline
> adding it to THIS release. I don't imagine I'll stop be associated with
> this code for a while yet....
>
> Can we recommend that users should expect to have to call a start and
> end backup routine in later releases? Don't expect you'll agree to
> that..

I guess my big question is that if we don't do this for 7.5 how will
people doing restores know if the xid they specify is valid for the
backup they used. If we recover to most recent time, is there any check
that will tell them their backup is invalid because there are no archive
records that span the time of their backup?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us