Can't increase max connections

From: Roberto De Shong <shong_1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can't increase max connections
Date: 2004-07-19 16:38:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have installed PostgreSQL 7.3 on FreeBSD 4.10 Stable, and have been trying to increase the max connections. the most I'm able to is 40, if I increase it any higher I'm unable to start the database. Is there any tip, s hte any guide where I can get an idea of the other values to set in postgresql.conf for increasing max connections? I had also recompile the kernel and changed maxusers from 0 to 64. I'm not sure if increasing it even more would allow me increase connections. Would appreciate some help, thanks.