Re: Critique needed for contact-DB draft

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Felix E(dot) Klee" <felix(dot)klee(at)inka(dot)de>
Cc: scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Critique needed for contact-DB draft
Date: 2004-07-15 18:52:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 20:24:12 +0200,
"Felix E. Klee" <felix(dot)klee(at)inka(dot)de> wrote:
> I forgot to create a relation that reflects that a person/non-person is
> an organization:
>
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:25:54 +0200 Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > "Major" tables:
> > ORGANIZATIONS:
> > contact_id, offers, demands, description, type (person|non-person),
> > type_id (a person_id or a non-person_id)
>
> contact_id should be substituted by organization_id.

That doesn't sound right. This table looks a lot like a contact table.
Unless there is exactly one contact per organzation you probably want two
tables.

> > PERSONS:
> > person_id, surname, given_names, pseudonyms, prefix, suffix, sex (M|F)
>
> The field organization is missing.

You don't need that.

> > NON-PERSONS:
> > non-person_id, name, type (company|non-profit|...)
>
> The field organization is missing.

You don't need that.

If you are trying to use non-person to name the company rather than to
list a contact address, then this should probably be an organization
table.