Re: Insert are going slower ...

From: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar(at)frodo(dot)hserus(dot)net>, gnari <gnari(at)simnet(dot)is>
Subject: Re: Insert are going slower ...
Date: 2004-07-14 14:08:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Le mercredi 14 Juillet 2004 12:13, Shridhar Daithankar a écrit :
> gnari wrote:
> > is there a recommended procedure to estimate
> > the best value for effective_cache_size on a
> > dedicated DB server ?
>
> Rule of thumb(On linux): on a typically loaded machine, observe cache
> memory of the machine and allocate good chunk of it as effective cache.
>
> To define good chunck of it, you need to consider how many other things are
> running on that machine. If it is file server + web server + database
> server, you have to allocate the resources depending upon requirement.
>
> But remember It does not guarantee that it will be a good value. It is just
> a starting point..:-) You have to tune it further if required.

In my case it's a PostgreSQL dedicated server ...

effective_cache_size = 5000000

For me I give to the planner the information that the kernel is able to cache
5000000 disk page in RAM

>free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7959120 7712164 246956 0 17372 7165704
-/+ buffers/cache: 529088 7430032
Swap: 2097136 9880 2087256

What should I put ?

Regards,