getting info out of a dump from postgresql

From: "Barry Gribben" <barry(dot)gribben(at)cbg(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: getting info out of a dump from postgresql
Date: 2004-07-13 08:17:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi there, one of our clients has supplied a database as a 3MB "dump" from
their database provider. The first few characters of the file are: --

-- Selected TOC Entries:

--

\connect - postgres

--

-- TOC Entry ID 103 (OID 16556)

--

-- Name: "plpgsql_call_handler" () Type: FUNCTION Owner: postgres

--

CREATE FUNCTION "plpgsql_call_handler" () RETURNS opaque AS
'$libdir/plpgsql', 'plpgsql_call_handler' LANGUAGE 'C';

--

-- TOC Entry ID 104 (OID 16557)

--

-- Name: plpgsql Type: PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE Owner:

--

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' HANDLER "plpgsql_call_handler"
LANCOMPILER '';

\connect - root

--

-- TOC Entry ID 2 (OID 61967)

--

-- Name: staff_id_seq Type: SEQUENCE Owner: root

--

CREATE SEQUENCE "staff_id_seq" start 1 increment 1 maxvalue
9223372036854775807 minvalue 1 cache 1;

--

-- TOC Entry ID 4 (OID 61969)

--

-- Name: client_id_seq Type: SEQUENCE Owner: root

--

CREATE SEQUENCE "client_id_seq" start 1 increment 1 maxvalue
9223372036854775807 minvalue 1 cache 1;

--

-- TOC Entry ID 6 (OID 61971)

--

-- Name: question_group_id_seq Type: SEQUENCE Owner: root

--

CREATE SEQUENCE "question_group_id_seq" start 1 increment 1 maxvalue
9223372036854775807 minvalue 1 cache 1;

--

-- TOC Entry ID 8 (OID 61973)

--

-- Name: question_

My question is naturally, how do I turn this into data I can ODBC to (or any
other access method) from SAS, which I run under windows. I have a unix
machine on our network, but any options considered.

Many thanks for any help.

Dr Barry Gribben

MBChB BA MMedSci FRNZCGP

Medical Director