Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date: 2004-07-11 22:15:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro,

> I have a better question: do we allow SAVEPOINT (i.e. to establish a
> savepoint, i.e. to open a nested transaction) within an aborted
> transaction block?

My opinion? No. I would personally not want to allow it.

> My opinion is that we should disallow both SAVEPOINT and RELEASE when in
> an aborted transaction block. Only ROLLBACK TO, ROLLBACK and COMMIT
> would be allowed.

I agree.

> In this scenario, ROLLBACK TO would always return to
> a non-aborted transaction state, or the target savepoint would not
> exist and the state would remain the same.

This is also good.

From my perspective, as a builder of some *very* database-centric
applications, if one has an abort contidition that proceeds to try to
establish a Savepoint as if the abort didn't exist then one needs to do some
debugging. I'm sorry I missed the original discussion on this or I would
have expressed this opinion earlier.

For that matter:

begin;
savepoint;
select 0/0; -- abort
savepoint; -- commands will be ignored
select 1; -- commands will be ignored
release; -- commands will be ignored
release; -- abort main xact 'cause we didn't rollback
commit; -- abort message

Is the above more or less correct, Alvaro?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions