Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date: 2004-07-11 00:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Well, that involves either creating a conditional capability in the
> > backend, or in psql, neither of which will happen for 7.5. The best we
> > can do is allow COMMIT NESTED INGORE ERROR (or COMMIT NESTED INGORE
> > ROLLBACK) and just let the script keep going. I am thinking of cases
> > where you want to drop an object you aren't sure exists in a
> > transaction. Anything more complicated like issuing a replacement query
> > will have to wait for 7.6.
>
> OK, I didn't realize that it was a difficult thing. I think it should go on
> the TODO list but you are the judge of what's a quick fix and what's not.
>
> (BTW, aside from this limitation, I am *not* in favor of COMMIT NESTED IGNORE
> ERROR)

OK, no one likes that idea, so let's forget it.

Do we want to allow BEGIN NESTED to start a main transaction? Oracle
can use SAVEPOINTS all the time because it knows it is always in a
transaction, but PostgreSQL is not always. I don't see a downside to
allowing it. COMMIT will still commit the entire transaction, of
course.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us