Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date: 2004-07-09 20:43:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:07:19PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > We can't actually release anything (commit the subtransactions), because
> > they may be savepoints established after that point, and they are
> > logically "inside" the previously established ones. At RELEASE we can't
> > really release -- we just lose the name and thus the opportunity to
> > rollback to it.
>
> Oh, good point. Yes, those savepoints in between are still active. But
> do we release anything on subxact commit? I though it was only on xact
> abort, and that does invalidate all the savepoints in between.

Yes, we free some things. Granted it's not a lot, but we have stacks
for several things that will be always be growing with savepoints, but
we can chop their heads off with "commit nested."

Jason Tesser: You might not have understood me or I am not understanding you.
Paul Thomas: It feels like we're 2 people divided by a common language...