Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Matt Browne <list(dot)pgsql-admin(at)picton(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase
Date: 2004-07-06 20:29:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Christopher is correct ... if there was such a thing as an 'end all, be
> all' replication solution, there wouldn't be a half a dozen different ones
> out there ...
>
> It would be unwise for *anyone* to state "never" as far as inclusion of
> built-in replication, but since the general consensus is that there is no
> such thing as the 'all-encompassing solution' for this, the chances of one
> ever coming about that would be of a scope that would be acceptable to be
> built-in is next to zero ...

OK, I reworded the replication TODO section and moved it under
Administration:

* Improve replication solutions
o Automatic failover
o Load balancing
o Master/slave replication
o Multi-master replication
o Partition data across servers
o Queries across databases or servers (two-phase commit)
o Allow replication over unreliable or non-persistent links

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us