Re: LinuxTag wrapup

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Date: 2004-07-04 04:10:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 11:33:35PM -0400, Mike Mascari wrote:

> The fact that novices can't pronounce the name correctly is a
> problem. People will be afraid to raise the possibility as a
> solution in the enterprise if they think they'll look like a fool
> pronouncing the name aloud. I remember back in '94 being "corrected"
> when talking about Linux in the enterprise - and I was corrected in
> the wrong direction.

You made me remember that some time ago a non-tech fellow presented me
as giving a talk about "Postgresol" ... the audience had quite a laugh.
It seems nobody thought about instructing him on how to pronounce the
thing ... it was rather embarrasing anyway.

"En las profundidades de nuestro inconsciente hay una obsesiva necesidad
de un universo lógico y coherente. Pero el universo real se halla siempre
un paso más allá de la lógica" (Irulan)