Re: High load average with PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on debian/ibm eserver.

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: eleven(at)ludojad(dot)itpp(dot)pl, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High load average with PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on debian/ibm eserver.
Date: 2004-06-29 23:34:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Eleven,

> In particular - could someone tell me if those iostat
> values can tell if I'm close to upper performance boundary
> of fast SCSI (Ultra 320, 15k RPM) disks?

It's quite possible that you need to improve your disk array; certainly I
would have spec'd a lot more disk than you're using (like raid 0+1 with 6
disks or RAID 5 with seven disks).

However, there's the other end as well; it's quite possible that your queries
are doing seq scans and other disk-intensive operations that could be
avoided. Have you analyed this at all?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions