Re: About inheritance

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Diogo Biazus <diogob(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About inheritance
Date: 2004-06-29 23:05:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

You will get differing opinions from each and every person
you ask about this.

There are fairly simple ways to work around the fact the
the constraints and indexes are not shared and in *some*
cases (probably the reason for unshared indexes) the
fact that the indexes are not shared is a good thing.

Row inheritance is only one aspect of inheritance in
general. Domains are another.

The way to answer any questions is to understand the underlying
problem being solved.

Table inheritance is often used to save typing by creating
a template table class. That is its most common usage.

Most other things done via table inheritance can also be done
via pure relational techniques.

--elein