Re: Continue with the original idea, about JOINS....

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Jhonatas M(dot) Rodríguez <jhonatas_rod(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Continue with the original idea, about JOINS....
Date: 2004-06-25 22:23:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-1] Jhonatas M. Rodrguez wrote:

> Hey, i have a question about of the uses the joins
> in PostgreSQL.
>
> In SQL Server the joins i can use with the simbol(*),
> Example:. the right join is
> "table1.field1 =* table2.field2"
>
> In Oracle the joins are with the simbol (+),
> Example:. the left join is
> "table1.field1 (+)= table2.field2"
>
> What is the simbol the PostgreSQL in the use the
> JOINS?....
>
> I want to continue with the original idea, how i do a
> join without
> (table1 LEFT JOIN table2 ON (table1.field1 =
> table2.field2)
> table2 RIGHT OUTER JOIN table1 ON (table2.field2 =
> table1.field1))
>
> else with a simbol (as (*,+, anything)).

You don't do outer joins in PostgreSQL with a symbol. We only
support the standard mandated way of doing the joins. Syntaxes
like the Oracle and SQL Server one above are at best imprecise
and at worst entirely broken(*) so I doubt that we're going to
support one in the future.

(*) - The symbol using syntaxes above are ripe for possible problems
where you have conflicting conditions which you either need to diagnose
or come up with semantics for. Also, since join ordering is potentially
significant to outer join behavior, syntax that hides that is dangerous.