Re: Fix for erroneous warning on Shutdown

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix for erroneous warning on Shutdown
Date: 2004-06-16 01:47:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I just did CHECKPOINT;CHECKPOINT and got the warning in the logs. This
> > needs to be fixed.
>
> See code:
>
> /*
> * Ideally we should only warn if this checkpoint was
> * requested due to running out of segment files, and not
> * if it was manually requested. However we can't tell the
> * difference with the current signalling mechanism.
> */
>
> I could argue that a client-driven process that issues CHECKPOINT every
> few seconds is equally deserving of a warning. The only thing wrong is
> that the HINT is inapplicable ... but that's why it's a HINT and not
> part of the main message.

Also consider they could have issued a checkpoint right after the system
did one. Yuck.

When I added the warning I hoped to only have it happen for full logs
and not CHECKPOINT, but I guess I couldn't and someone else realized
that and added that clearer comment, or originally I could do that, but
since it has been moved into the bgwriter, it can't anymore.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us