Re: PITR Archival

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Archival
Date: 2004-06-16 00:53:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Also note: archive_mode is not designed to be turned on/off frequently.
> It is possible to confuse it if you turn it on, then restart with it
> off, then turn it on again. That is likely to create a "hole" in the
> archive history of xlogs and you will not be able to recover correctly.

I assume full xlog files will still be transfered, but that you will be
missing some files while the archiver was turned off. That issue will
be part of the restore procedure, I assume. I think we need to specify
people should use an empty archive directory every time they turn on
archiving.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us