Re: Failed System. Help.

From: Marcus Whitney <marcus(at)coldfeetcreative(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failed System. Help.
Date: 2004-06-15 03:33:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello all,

I have a PostgreSQL instance running on a Dell Poweredge 6450. 4 700Mhz
processors, 6 GB of Ram, 2GB Backside, 60GB Raid 10 Server. Today, it
crashed hard. At the command line (BASH), all I could get was 'bus fault' .
After rebooting, we were unable to mount the partition that PostgreSQL was
on. When trying to load one of our remote backup archives (pg_dump) from
the last week, they all die at a point, saying:

pg_restore: [custom archiver] could not read data block -- expected 4096, got
3870

So, basically, we are running e2fsck very carefully as to not destroy any
files, but still try and clean up as many issues as possible. Is there
anyway to extract the pure data from those archives in spite of the bad
blocks? Also, any other suggestions for the situation are welcome. Thanks.

- Marcus