Re: Character encoding in database dumps

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Character encoding in database dumps
Date: 2004-06-10 12:19:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Lynna,

Have you tried restoring your data from the dumps ?

I use Latin1 encoding with my dbs. All russian characters are a mess in the
dump files and in the psql terminal as well. However, they restore, display
and distribute ok, even into win-platform. Out of curiosity, I renamed one
dump.file to dump.html and opened it with a browser and set the browser
encoding to cyrillic. Characters display ok.

So could this be more an issue with the client application's ability to use
proper encoding for displaying the characters right ? Dunno for sure, just my
thought out of some experience with cyrillic and Pg. Encodings are a bit of
jungle, it seems.

BR,

Aarni

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 21:11, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My database was created with Unicode encoding, as a fair number of the
> artists and exhibitions have French names, and thus include accented
> characters. I thought I'd solved all the various problems this generates,
> but have just discovered one new one.
>
> When I do a dump of the database to back it up (because I'm paranoid and
> don't want my web host to be my only source of security on this matter),
> the accented characters don't come through correctly. They all display
> correctly in phpPgAdmin, and in the PHP pages I've made to search and
> display the data - it's just in dumps that they're garbled. I presume this
> means the Unicode encoding is somehow being lost and the data read as
> standard ASCII.
>
> I'm currently using phpPgAdmin to export the data, and it gives me a choice
> of downloading it as a .sql file or displaying it in the browser window,
> but either way, the special characters are toasted. Does anyone have any
> idea how I can do a database dump that keeps the character encoding intact?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lynna

Aarni Ruuhimäki
This is a bugfree broadcast to you from a linux system.