Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review
Date: 2004-06-09 19:27:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:05:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Bruce,

> One interesting idea would be for COMMIT to affect the outer
> transaction, and END not affect the outer transaction. Of course that
> kills the logic that COMMIT and END are the same, but it is an
> interesting idea, and doesn't affect backward compatibility because
> END/COMMIT behave the same in non-nested transactions.

I implemented this behavior by using parameters to COMMIT/END. I didn't
want to add new keywords to the grammar so I just picked up
"COMMIT WITHOUT ABORT". (Originally I had thought "COMMIT IGNORE
ERRORS" but those would be two new keywords and I don't want to mess
around with the grammar. If there are different opinions, tweaking the
grammar is easy).

So the behavior I originally implemented is still there:

alvherre=# begin;
BEGIN
alvherre=# begin;
BEGIN
alvherre=# select foo;
ERROR: no existe la columna "foo"
alvherre=# commit;
COMMIT
alvherre=# select 1;
ERROR: transacción abortada, las consultas serán ignoradas hasta el fin de bloque de transacción
alvherre=# commit;
COMMIT

However if one wants to use in script the behavior you propose, use
the following:

alvherre=# begin;
BEGIN
alvherre=# begin;
BEGIN
alvherre=# select foo;
ERROR: no existe la columna "foo"
alvherre=# commit without abort;
COMMIT
alvherre=# select 1;
?column?
----------
1
(1 fila)

alvherre=# commit;
COMMIT

The patch is attached. It applies only after the previous patch,
obviously.

"Ciencias políticas es la ciencia de entender por qué
los políticos actúan como lo hacen" (netfunny.com)

Attachment Content-Type Size
subcommit-ignore-error.patch text/plain 5.6 KB