Tool to read data files

From: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tool to read data files
Date: 2004-06-07 19:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Are there any tools available to dump datafiles for debugging purposes? I think there is a corruption problem in Postgresql 7.4.2 with and only with the Ltree module.
I've seen broken ltree entries in my database, and there were no updates on the tables. This occurs once or twice a day, at random times. The value of the ltree
attribute is not junk as I would expect with a corruption, but some parts are missing.

I've wrote some sort of watchdog and waited until the problem occured, then copied the datafile to a different location.

Are there any tools available for debugging such problems? Even a simple dump to stdout would be helpful.

Thanks!

Regards,
Mario Weilguni

p.s. I've checked the hardware before going online with that database, RAM is definitly ok, and the rest of the hardware should work fine as well.
The table was vacuumed full, but vacuum did not report any errors.