Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review
Date: 2004-05-28 20:14:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:05:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Hm, you are right that there needs to be a more automatic way of doing
this.

> One interesting idea would be for COMMIT to affect the outer
> transaction, and END not affect the outer transaction. Of course that
> kills the logic that COMMIT and END are the same, but it is an
> interesting idea, and doesn't affect backward compatibility because
> END/COMMIT behave the same in non-nested transactions.

How about "COMMIT SUB" and "END SUB"? I don't feel it's good to give
different meaning to COMMIT versus END, but this is only a gut kind of
thing and I could be convinced otherwise. It is even easier to
differentiate COMMIT/END than adding a parameter to them.

I mean, COMMIT SUB would not affect the state of the outer transaction,
while COMMIT would.

"In fact, the basic problem with Perl 5's subroutines is that they're not
crufty enough, so the cruft leaks out into user-defined code instead, by
the Conservation of Cruft Principle." (Larry Wall, Apocalypse 6)