Re: where to start with this procedure ?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrei Bintintan <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: where to start with this procedure ?
Date: 2004-05-20 15:01:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Andreas wrote:

> Hi Andrei,
>

> >Use the Offset and Limit in the SQL query.
> >[...]
> >SELECT select_list
> > FROM table_expression
> > WHERE condition
> > LIMIT 50
> > OFFSET 10000
> >
> >This query will return 50 elements starting with the 10000 elements... so
> >the elemenst from 10000 to 10050.
> >

> That isn't the issue since I only need a specific few of the lines at all.
> I need a dynamic WHERE clause.
>
> It's more like this :
> SELECT customer_id, and, some, more, fields
> FROM table1
> JOIN table2
> JOIN table3
>
> This results in the "huge" set.
> On the Access-form I only need the orders, or contact history for 1
> customer.
>
> As of now I only know 2 ways to solve this.
> 1) Load all the tables over the net into Access and let the JOIN run
> locally. That way I can filter dynamically by adding a WHERE
> customer_id = x to the select above.

Why not add the where clause to the select that goes to the server?

In any case, you can do a function that does the select with a condition
fairly easily with a set returning function in recent versions I think.
Make a composite type with the return fields (create type <name> as (...))
then make an sql function that takes an integer returns setof <name> that
selects from table1 join table2 ... where customer_id = $1.