Re: where is this problem (trigger)

From: Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: postgres SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: where is this problem (trigger)
Date: 2004-05-15 13:42:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Great I got the double quotes in the trigger... like
this:

CREATE FUNCTION notify_jobinfo() RETURNS "trigger"
AS '
BEGIN
EXECUTE ''NOTIFY
"''||TG_RELNAME||''_''||NEW.jobnumber||''"'';
RETURN NEW;
END
' LANGUAGE plpgsql;

and it works great... however, i did a pg_dump of the
db to back it up. On a lark I started looking through
the file and I decided to look at the dumped trigger
and this is what I see.

--
-- TOC entry 29 (OID 17180)
-- Name: notify_on_update(); Type: FUNCTION; Schema:

CREATE FUNCTION notify_on_update() RETURNS "trigger"
AS '
BEGIN
EXECUTE ''NOTIFY ''||TG_RELNAME||''_''||NEW.jobnumseq;
RETURN NEW;
END
'
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Ouch... it looks like pg_dump forgot my double quotes.

Do you have any ideas? If I reimport this dump file
the triggers won't work when it meets a row with a dot
in the column. Of course I can just update my data to
use the underscore instead of the dot.....

Ted

--- Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>