Re: Should I keep INDEX on the table?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)lurza(dot)secnetix(dot)de>
To: rbhide(at)nulinkinc(dot)com (Rajan Bhide)
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should I keep INDEX on the table?
Date: 2004-05-14 12:45:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

Rajan Bhide wrote:
> I am having a table with UNIQUE constraints defined on three columns.
> Also I have UNIQUE user defined INDEX with the same columns on the
> table.

I think that is redundant. You can easily verify that by
dropping the index and then check with EXPLAIN if anything
has changed with regards to index usage.

> The problem on removing the index is that my table has almost 2M
> transtions in approx ~4 Hours and I need to perform external reindexing
> (DROP and CREATE INDEX) every 2 Hours to reclaim the dead space left
> behind by the deleted rows.

Uhm, maybe I'm completely misunderstanding you here, but
I think that's the job of VACUUM. There should not be a
need to drop and re-create the index for that purpose.

Best regards
Oliver Fromme

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
-- Blair P. Houghton