Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: Halford Dace <hal(at)stowe(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options
Date: 2004-05-12 11:08:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

It appears that your CPU is 'slow' while your disk subsystem is 'fast'.

I had once such situation with 15 kRPM drives and ~500MHz Pentium III. On that
system, the best solution was to either increase effective_cache_size or
decrease random_page_cost (the latter obviously has to do with the fast disk,
the former with the lots of RAM).

In any case, proper optimization of queries always helps. :-)

Daniel