Re: Trigger function to know which fields are being updated

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bernard Cheung <cheungsw(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger function to know which fields are being updated
Date: 2004-05-11 13:59:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Bernard Cheung <cheungsw(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thank you, but my intension is to check whether the
> user supplies NAME when
> updating the record.
>
> For example the trigger shall allow statement 1 and
> block statement 2:
>
> 1. UPDATE COMPANY SET NAME = 'ABC', ADDRESS = '123
> Drive' WHERE COMPANY_ID =
> 1;
>
> 2. UPDATE COMPANY SET ADDRESS = '123 Drive' WHERE
> COMPANY_ID = 1;
>
> I want the trigger to ensure that the user must
> provide value for NAME when
> updating this record.

In case 2 above, the updated record will keep the same
"name" value that it had previously. The logic that
you need to use will depend on precisely what you want
to happen. For example, if you expect that the name
must change, then you can test "NEW.NAME = OLD.NAME".
But if the name is not changing, this will not tell
you anything, even if the user is in fact supplying
the name.

Depending on what rules you want to enforce, you may
be better off doing the checking in your application.