Re: Aclitem "high level description"

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Aclitem "high level description"
Date: 2004-05-07 20:39:25
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Please find attached as somehow requested a plpgsql implementation
> for a "high-level description" (by that, I understand "relationnal",
> not "functionnal") of acl in postgres.

That doesn't tell me anything. The functionality of the ACL system is
to answer questions like "does user X have privilege Y on object Z".
It seems that this question can be answered using existing facilities.
Additionally we have information schema views that list existing
privileges, and those views are defined using existing facilities. It
appears that your tables mostly duplicate that. Can you say in words
what information you are missing?