Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend.
Date: 2004-05-07 19:06:15
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Agreed we have to show both. The question is whether we should prefer
> single quotes and switch to $$ only when a single quote exists in the
> body, or use $$ in most cases. Of course CREATE FUNCTION should show
> that both are possible, as well as $tag$.

My take: If there are no single quotes inside, use '. If there are
single quotes inside, use $$. If there is $$ inside, use $x$ (or some
other short sequence, not the function name). This conveys the
decision process we made when we designed this feature. If there are
several related examples in one section, use the same method for all.