Re: psql 7.3.4 disagrees with NATURAL CROSS JOIN

From: Jonathan Scott <jwscott(at)vanten(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql 7.3.4 disagrees with NATURAL CROSS JOIN
Date: 2004-05-07 02:58:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

I have included a pg_dump of the schema that causes this problem. If you take out the word "CROSS" from my source files, it should load just fine. If you then pg_dump it, in there you should find "CROSS".

Jonathan Scott

On Thu, 06 May 2004 22:26:13 -0400

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > Just a note for the hackers, Jonathan (I think :) ) talked to me about
> > this on the irc channel - we couldn't figure this one out. Seems that
> > pg_dump produces NATURAL CROSS JOIN in the dump of a view, but the pgsql
> > grammar does not appear to allow it.
>
> Hm. The syntax NATURAL CROSS JOIN is specifically disallowed by SQL99
> and our parser (see attached SQL99 excerpt). If pg_dump produces that
> in a view dump then that's a bug, but this test case doesn't let me see
> it happen, because the parser rejects the given view definition. Do
> you happen to have the original input that created the view?
>
> regards, tom lane
>

> <joined table> ::=
> <cross join>
> | <qualified join>
> | <natural join>
> | <union join>
>
> <cross join> ::=
>
> <qualified join> ::=
> <join specification>
>
> <natural join> ::=

> <join type> ::=
> INNER
> | <outer join type> [ OUTER ]
>
> <outer join type> ::=
> LEFT
> | RIGHT
> | FULL

Jonathan Scott, Programmer, Vanten K.K.
jwscott(at)vanten(dot)com Tel: 03-5919-0266
http://www.vanten.com Fax: 03-5919-0267

Attachment Content-Type Size
test_dump.sql application/octet-stream 2.1 KB