database read/write from applications code Request for advice

From: terr(at)terralogic(dot)net
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: database read/write from applications code Request for advice
Date: 2004-05-05 23:14:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am wondering if there is a simple way to implement a read() blah and write() blah function to a database.

The application I'm looking at is very simple and this is all that is required. In the past I used a cursor - did the select, then retrieved the records one at a time.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to not re-map each feild with each call and if I use the equivalent of pro*c it generates over 1000 parameters into the call - which is crasy.

A function that binds the variables from the calling program would be acceptable. For instance we might have pgbind(&myCfield, fieldType, sizeof(myCfield) ...) or something along this line.

Thanx.