Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup
Date: 2004-05-05 15:10:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:59:45PM -0700, sdv mailer wrote:

> Connection pooling (eg. SQLRelay) didn't work either
> because we needed to connect to hundreds of DB servers
> from each web server. Imagine having 200+ open
> connections on the web server and how many more of
> these connections remain idle. The situation gets

This sounds like a case where you probably ought to be using schema
support instead of many different databases, for the record. I don't
see how pre forking is going to help you at all, because a connection
is to a database, so you're going to have to pick one, and it's
likely as not to be the wrong one.