Re: Fixed directory locations in installs

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed directory locations in installs
Date: 2004-05-02 22:20:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > To make it work more cross-platform, replace "that registry thing"
> > with "postgresql.conf". It's basically the same thing, except the
> > registry has a hierarchy model.
>
> That only works as long as all the files we want to refer to are used by
> the server. But how will psql find /etc/psqlrc, how will libpq find
> pg_service.conf, how will pg_dumpall find pg_dump, etc.?

Actually, postgresql.conf only works once they run initdb (and we have
PGDATA defined). We still have the open issue of how initdb finds
postgresql.conf.sample unless we embed the file in the initdb binary
(double-yuck).

For pg_dump on Unix, we hopefully have it in our path, but on Win32, we
will not.

For Win32, we could use the registry. For Unix, we can't use /etc
because we can't be sure we are root. Can we create a dot-file in the
user's home directory during install?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us