Re: Plan for feature freeze?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plan for feature freeze?
Date: 2004-05-01 21:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> We should also think about what exactly we mean by "feature freeze".
>
> > As I remember, feature freeze means no new features, just fixes, and
> > beta means release of the first beta that we want for wide testing.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear: what I was asking for was some discussion about
> the criteria we should use for advancing to each of those phases. In
> particular it's not real clear what "just fixes" should be interpreted
> to allow for. The remaining work for Win32 could all be called "just
> fixes" since it will not add any user-visible "features".

I assume "just fixes" is for bugs not known when going into feature
freeze, meaning bugs found during testing. If there are significant
missing parts going into feature freeze, I think you just abandon the
feature and rip it out or disable it. We have done that in the past.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us