Re: Promoting PostgreSQL to the world.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Promoting PostgreSQL to the world.
Date: 2004-04-30 02:06:46
Lists: pgsql-www

Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 15:56, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > That is my point. Are we going to require a certain level of
> > > acceptable usage for someone to use the name?
> >
> > It's easy to shoot yourself in the foot that way. You may find that the
> > next Debian release will contain a package "database whose name we are
> > not allowed to use" and everything is stripped of logos and icons
> > because they are not free to use. It has happened before.
>
> I think that is different though. They're simply redistributing exactly
> what we gave them (compiled, but still the same).

Uh, one linux distribution add an option to pg_hba.conf. We only found
out when someone reported it as not working, so that redistribution
thing isn't 100%.

> We already have issues with users adding patches to the database, like
> CONNECT BY, which have a number of bugs. If Debian applied those patches
> by default and a flood of Debian users started complaining about our
> buggy software what would we do? If it would be to tell them they're not
> using an official release, then it shouldn't have the PostgreSQL name on
> it.

Sure, we tell them and they know it. The idea that somehow we are going
to get a bad name seems a minor risk compared to the management
nightmare of trying to certify everything. If we certify it and it is
bad, we really have a problem.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us