Re: Basic subtransaction facility

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Basic subtransaction facility
Date: 2004-04-29 20:08:41
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:26:01AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I don't understand your elog(ERROR) vs. ereport(ERROR) distinction. Was
> that a typo?

Nope. When Tom upgraded the error handling, he changed almost
everything to ereport(), but in the places where there's a violation of
expected conditions, he retained elog(). We don't provide special error
code, nor there is space for errhints etc.

Those unexpected conditions I thought we could just abort the
transaction tree; but maybe we have to close the backend as Manfred and
Tom say. I don't think there's space for PANIC though (unless we
suspect shared state corruption ... is that checked for anywhere? I
haven't looked.)

"No single strategy is always right (Unless the boss says so)"
(Larry Wall)