Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 19:17:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 01:26:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> o nested transactions (Alvaro)
>
> Has submitted patches that are under review. He has the nesting of
> BEGIN done, and storage manager subtransaction handling. I think he
> needs to do pg_subtrans system table and error recovery. He says he can
> finish in time.
>
> o two-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)
>
> Has patches and is waiting for Alvaro's patches to be applied. Not sure

If 2PC patches are ready and nested transactions not, is it worth
considering applying 2PC when subtransactions aren't ready? I
appreciate the work that will cause, so I'm not saying this lightly.
It's probably too early to make that decision now, but I'd suggest
keeping it in mind in case something goes off the rails.