Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 18:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Yes, it was vague. The question is now that we are a month away, do
> we
> > want to target June 1, mid-June, or July 1.
>
> If I may humbly chime in here...there currently is no binary packing for
> the win32 port. Magnus is currently working on an installer/service
> manager (dubbed 'longer term' on the status page) that would be nice to
> see make it in before the feature freeze. Based on the current rate of
> development, finishing this and various other sundry issues (even
> allowing for corrections within the beta period) within a month involves
> a fair degree of optimism. In short, speaking strictly from a win32
> perspective, a June 1 date will probably be missed.

Well, if Win32 doesn't complete by June 1, do we still do the feature
freeze? I don't want to be adding features after the freeze, that is
for sure. When we have done that in the past, it has caused problems
because some stuff gets in to make the system unstable, but other stuff
gets left out.

As I remember, we decided that we should not make decisions to extend
the feature freeze date just before the freeze date because it causes
people to stop doing development, then we extend. I think we should go
another week or two then decide if we should stay to June 1, and if we
don't, we should schedule for July 1. Extending it by a week at a time,
and almost before the deadline, has caused considerable waste of time in
the past.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us