Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 18:15:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Yes, it was vague. The question is now that we are a month away, do we
> > want to target June 1, mid-June, or July 1.
> >
> > Some are saying that once Win32 is ready, it will justify a release even
> > if the other features are not ready.
>
> I think we should have this conversation once the win32 code is ready.
> Since the beta period / release schedule usually takes several months in
> and of it self, anyone working on an item from the list below is going
> to lose a lot of steam if they are 80% done but get excluded from 7.5
> and have to wait out the release process.

Agreed, we will have to wait for Win32 to be completed, but Win32 also
needs to try to hit that date. We can't drive the entire release
process on one feature addition. What I am saying is that Win32 needs
to focus on meeting that date too.

The bottom line is that folks need to get their work completed or they
will miss the ability to have their work in 7.5. It has happened
before, and it will probably happen again in this release that some
folks will not complete things in time.

7.4 was 2003-11-17 and given our usual timeline June 1 seems like a good
cutoff.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us