BUG #1144: comments don't get propagated

From: "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1144: comments don't get propagated
Date: 2004-04-27 19:32:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1144
Logged by: comments on database

Email address: Oliver303(at)aon(dot)at

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system: Freebsd 4.9-RELEASE

Details:

My system:
`uname -r`: 4.9-RELEASE-p3
postgres version
==> select version(): PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on i386-portbld-freebsd4.9,
compiled by GCC 2.95.4

actually it's not a bug, but it's not a feature, definitely. ;-)

I did a "create database testdb" from psql without a file ${HOME}/.pgsqlrc.
The initial database was "template1". Then i tried a "comment on database
testdb is '...';"
==> cannot create comment

--> I'm using LC_ALL=de_AT.ISO8859-15

translated: database comments can be applied to current database only
so I did a "\c testdb"
and then "comment on database testdb is '...';"

success!

but after "\c tempalte1"
"\l+" doesn't give the comment on testdb.

probably the fact is that pg_database is the same across a cluster, but
pg_catalog.pg_description is not.

After I did a "\c testdb" i saw the the comment.

The docu says that pg_catalog.pg_database is shared between the cluster.
Probably the same should be true for pg_description, since all oid are
unique across the cluster. ?!

In my opinion this fact could confuse some people.

BTW:
Could You give an example of an insert statement to pg_description to
circumvent this inconvenience.

thnx Oliver