Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-27 19:12:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:57:46PM -0400, Tim Conrad wrote:

> Seriously, though. I was looking through the list yesterday trying
> to figure out something, and it was kind of hard to do.But, more to
> my point, this stuff is in the MySQL manual, making it easy to find.
> (Yes. I know what MySQL includes kind of blows, but, it's better
> than nothing)

You know, that's kind of the point of all things related to MySQL.
"It's better than nothing." PostgreSQL doesn't do things because "it's
better than nothing." My first patch here was rejected, not because it
didn't do anything useful (it did), but because "it didn't solve the
complete problem." I had to do a lot more work to get it accepted.
Similarly, people here don't want to showcase a list of things that will
be on the next release, because we _don't know_ what will be on the next
release. There are guesses, but guesses are not good enough.

(Same as how MySQL guesses the result of a modulo operation, and gets it
wrong. They don't care and you can read that on the manual. In
Postgres, this is a bug.)

In PostgreSQL there are no guesses. There are certainties. And I think
this it how it should be for a database server ;-)

"No hay cielo posible sin hundir nuestras raíces
en la profundidad de la tierra" (Malucha Pinto)