Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-27 16:34:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Tim Conrad wrote:
> > Of course, some gullible people actually believe this and compare [2]
> > the existing and working implementations with vaporware (MySQL 5.1,
> > anyone?).
> >
> > > On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
> > > improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
> > > release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
> > > but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
> > > difficult.
> >
> > Have you tried looking in the release notes [3]?
> >

> > [1] http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/194/1998/8/0/1061364/
> > [2] http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/1763?supportItem=1
> > [3] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/release.html
>
> I guess I'm an ignorant fool and I don't comprehend many of the
> items under the release note. I'm also looking for something I can
> hand my boss and say ' this is why we should use postgres instead of
> oracle'.

I think the summary of each release at the top would be OK for that.

Actually, your biggest problem is that we don't have a big motivation to
_sell_ PostgreSQL to anyone. We are more driven toward solving problems
and designing superior software. If it looks like we don't have a
polished sales image, that's because we don't stive for that. However,
we have had a large number of volunteers over the past few months focus
in this area and I hope there will be visible results shortly.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us