Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-26 17:25:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

I'm certain you guys could do a far better installer than the one Oracle
has, which is very, very fragile. There's all kinds of wonkiness to try
and get it to work on a non-supported linux distro (gentoo in my case),
and from talking to people who've dealt with it on redhat it's no
better.

Also, if possible, I think an installer that plays nice with package
management systems would be important. Many users want to use their OS's
package system to handle install and upgrade rather than some other
installer.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant jim(at)nasby(dot)net